UNICEF is seeking a WASH Specialist to support the institutionalization and scale-up of water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) programs in developing countries. The specialist will ensure monitoring and reporting mechanisms, provide advisory services to the Federal Ministry of Water Resources, and transfer necessary skill and capacity for data and information management to local actors. Key functions include programme development and planning, programme management, monitoring, evaluation, and delivery of results, technical and operational support for programme implementation, humanitarian WASH preparedness and response, networking and partnership building, UNICEF and government accountability, innovation, knowledge management, capacity building, evidence generation, data, and information management, evidence-based advocacy, and emergency response coordination.
Job Title: WASH Specialist (Nigerian Nationals Only)
Job No: 566752
Contract type: Fixed Term Appointment
Categories: WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene)
How Can You Make a Difference?
- To consolidate the gains already achieved in evidence generation, the WASH specialist will support the institutionalization and scale-up of M & M&E, evidence generation, and data management in the sector.
- S/he will ensure that monitoring and reporting mechanisms are in place to track progress in achieving targets in the WASH programme.
- S/he will also ensure that adequate support and advisory services are rendered to the Federal Ministry of Water Resources (FMWR) and state-line ministries in the roll-out of systems and strategies for effective monitoring, reporting, evidence generation, and data management at the sub-national level.
- Transfer requisite skill and capacity for data and information management to the various actors at the local level.
- The Specialist will manage systems for periodic data updates and ensure that measures are in place to facilitate the use of data and evidence generated for policy formulation, planning, and budgeting at all levels. Ultimately, this will enhance sector governance, accountability, value for money, and overall programme sustainability
Summary of Key Functions / Accountabilities
- Programme development and planning
- Programme management, monitoring, evaluation, and delivery of results
- Technical and operational support for programme implementation
- Humanitarian WASH preparedness and response
- Networking and partnership building
- UNICEF and Government Accountability
- Innovation, knowledge management, and capacity building
- Evidence Generation, Data, and Information Management
- Evidence-based advocacy to leverage state human and financial resources
- Emergency response coordination
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have
- An advanced University Degree in one of the following fields is required: Public Health, Social Sciences, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Water or Sanitary Engineering, or any other relevant technical field.
- A minimum of five years of professional experience in WASH-related programmes for developing countries is required including emergency WASH response.
- A minimum of two years of progressively responsible professional work experience in M&E plus reporting of community-based demand-driven WASH projects, including in the use of participatory methodologies.
- Analytical skills and report writing ability are essential together with IT skills, including advanced experience in MS Excel or data analysis and infographic software (pivot tables and functions).
- Experience in networking amongst government agencies, NGOs, the private sector, and development partners is essential.
- Experience in leveraging state resources for sustainable access to WASH facilities for women and children.
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of another official UN language or the local language of the duty station is an asset.
Expert knowledge of three components and basic knowledge of two components:
- Rural and small-town water supply and sanitation for low- and middle-income countries – including M&E and management of water supply projects, water safety, sustainability, CLTS
- WASH in Schools and Health Centers
- National government WASH policies, plans, and strategies
- Analysis of national budgets and expenditures for basic WASH and related advocacy
- WASH Information Management System for Nigeria
- Emergency WASH response and coordination
Expert knowledge of two components and basic knowledge of the other components:
- Humanitarian WASH – preparedness
- Humanitarian WASH – response and recovery
- Programme/project management
- Capacity development
- Knowledge management
- Monitoring, evaluation, and reporting (ME&R)
- Data management
- ICT-based programme implementation (including the use of GIS software and ARC view)
- Communication, presentation, and training skills (including the ability to explain data analysis to non-M&E people.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online