The African Union (AU) is seeking a Travel Officer (AfCDC) to improve travel management services for business units in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The role involves supporting personnel on official missions, staff benefits, and official visitors.
The Travel Officer will handle day-to-day functions, calculate airfare, excess baggage entitlements, and provide support to travel planning activities. They will also review travel claims and documentation, coordinate with the Finance Section regarding reimbursement, and ensure unused tickets are properly tracked.
Job Title: Travel Officer (AfCDC)
Requisition ID: 2043
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reports to: Head of Facilities and Asset Management
Directorate/Department/Organ: Africa CDC
Division: Facilities and Asset Management
Job Grade: P2
Contract Type: Fixed-Term
Purpose of Job
- The Travel Officer is expected to deliver an improved travel management service to business units at the Africa CDC.
- Thus, the incumbent is required to effectively and efficiently support the travel requirements of personnel traveling on official missions, travels related to staff benefits, and official visitors traveling on behalf of Africa CDC.
This job involves the following main functions that are generally applicable for this category:
- Assist in the following up on the activities of the division, including monitoring and evaluating progress made in line with a predefined strategic plan.
- Suggest new and expand on existing policy areas for planned research.
- Contribute in conducting analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the respective Unit/Division and AU’s internal use.
- Assist in setting the overall research direction of a relevant policy area.
- Responsible for the delegation and execution of defined research areas.
- Participate in the organization of relevant meetings, congresses, and conferences with stakeholders.
- Engage with relevant mid-level stakeholders and develop working relationships. Support the promotion of the activities of the Division including preparing leaflets, guidelines, and fact sheets.
- Assist in drafting reports and participate in the preparation of budget and work programs related to the functioning of the Unit/Division.
- Provide technical support to internal and external stakeholders.
- Handle the day-to-day functions of the Travel Unit to coordinate travel-related matters within the Organ.
- Serve as a focal person on the administration of all official mission and statutory travels.
- Calculate airfare, excess baggage entitlements, daily subsistence allowance for travelers.
- Provide support to travel planning activities when required.
- Provide information to staff on the most economical and value-for-money routes and plan routings and itineraries accordingly.
- Review travel claims and supporting documentation for completeness, accuracy, validity, and conformity with AU rules prior to forwarding them to the Finance Section.
- Coordinate with the Finance Section regarding reimbursement of travel expenses.
- Institute controls in SAP to ensure that no claim is duplicated and that arrangements are made to collect charges for any deviation from the authorized itinerary.
- Ensure that unused tickets are properly tracked, and funds are recovered.
- Verify that services provided by the airline authorities are rendered satisfactory and in accordance with the contract before processing invoices for payment.
- Advise substantive offices and other relevant staff on arrival information.
- Perform other duties as directed/requested.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Travel Management, Marketing Management, Business Administration, Logistics, Transport Management, Accounting, or related field OR Masters Degree in any of these areas of study with at least five (5) and two (2) years relevant work experience is required.
- Training and working experience in travel management tools such as Amadeus.
- Relevant training in travel, procurement, project management, or related fields from travel-centric entities (IATA, ICAO) is an advantage.
- Relevant work experience for the stated years should be in travel administration and management is required.
- Experience with an airline or travel agency is an advantage.
- Proven expertise in travel-related processing requirements and overall understanding of corporate travel management.
- Familiarity with AU or international organizations’ procedures and systems is an asset.
- High level of accuracy, attention to detail, and thoroughness.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision, be proactive, initiative, and with sound judgment.
- Ability to leverage limited resources and staff for maximum impact.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks and work under pressure with a wide range of individuals and institutions.
- Creative thinking, problem-solving, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Proficient computer skills and use of relevant software (word processing, excel, Amadeus, SAP ERP).
- Excellent writing, negotiating, analytical, and communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Change Management
- Managing Risk
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Accountability awareness and Compliance
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence
- Analytical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Job Knowledge and information sharing
- Drive for Results
- Continuous Improvement Focus
Tenure of Appointment
- The Appointment will be made on a fixed-term contract for a period of one (1) year, with the first three (3) months considered as a probationary period.
- Thereafter, the contract may be renewed for a similar period subject to funding availability, satisfactory performance, and agreed deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer, and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Kiswahili, Portuguese, and Spanish) is mandatory, and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$ 85,212.07 (P2 Step 5) inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 66,751.81 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff of the African Union Commission.
Application Closing Date
1st December, 2023 (11h59 p.m. EAT)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only candidates who meet all job requirements and are selected for interviews will be contacted.
- Consideration will be given only to those candidates who have submitted a fully completed online application with a curriculum vitae (CV), an African passport, and the required academic qualifications, such as Diplomas, Bachelor’s degrees, Master’s degrees, and any relevant certificates in line with the area of expertise.
- The African Union is an equal opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Candidates from less represented countries within the African Union are strongly encouraged to apply for positions that fit their profiles. These countries include Algeria, Angola, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Comoros, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Sahrawi D.R., Sao Tome and Principe, Seychelles, Somalia, and Tunisia.