The African Union (AU) is seeking a Project Manager to manage and implement World Bank projects in Tunisia. The role involves reporting to the Executive Director of STATAFRIC, ensuring the project’s success and improving governance environment. The project focuses on three major projects funded by the World Bank: Harmonizing and Improving Statistics in West Africa Project (HISWA), Eastern Africa Regional Statistics Program-for-Results (EARSPforR), and Harmonizing and Improving Statistics in West and Central Africa (HISWACA). The Project Manager will also be responsible for coordinating project activities, preparing annual work plans, and ensuring project implementation complies with the Management Plan. The appointment is for an initial one-year term, renewable subject to performance and availability of funds. The AU is an equal opportunity employer, and candidates from less represented countries within the African Union are encouraged to apply.
Job Title: Project Manager (STATAFRIC)
Requisition ID: 2036Contract Type: Fixed Term
⋙ SEE OTHER JOBS AT AFRICAN UNION (AU)
Job Grade: P4
Division: Office of Executive Director of STATAFRIC
Reports to: Executive Director of STATAFRIC
Organization: African Union
Purpose of Job
- Reporting to the Executive Director of STATAFRIC, the Project Manager is responsible for the day-to-day management and implementation of the World Bank Projects implemented by STATAFRIC, provide inputs on technical issues of the projects and handle all substantive administrative matters related to projects implementation as per the project operations manual and the financial agreement.
- The 3 major projects funded by the World Bank are:
- Harmonizing and Improving Statistics in West Africa Project (HISWA)
- Eastern Africa Regional Statistics Program-for-Results (EARSPforR)
- Harmonizing and Improving Statistics in West and Central Africa (HISWACA)
- Strengthen STATAFRIC capacity as Project Implementing Unit of the World Bank projects,
- Improve governance environment for projects implementation by STATAFRIC.
- Plan, manage and supervise the monitoring and evaluation of the implementation of the 3 World Bank projects components using a results-based logical framework matrix in which for each component, goods and services and their related activities are aligned with their performance indicators including baseline and target, source of verification, assumptions and risks, and mitigation measures.
- Specifically the Project Manager shall serve as the reference person for technical and functional matters in each work stream. He/She will be in charge of the organization of activities with the African Union Member States, Regional Economic Communities (RECs) and service providers (for goods and services), and other stakeholders.
- Manage and coordinate project activities, from technical, administrative and financial points of view, applying strategic planning and systematic coordination of projects activities;
- Prepare annual work plans, training plan and assist on the procurement plan finalization in line with the World Bank Projects and documents;
- Prepare annual budget in line with the work plans and STATAFRIC budget process guidelines;
- Facilitate effective communication and coordination between the Projects staff and Projects actors, STATAFRIC, AU Member States, RECs and the World Bank;
- Monitor the progress of the projects, manage the projects’ budget, ensure the key milestones are reached,
- Identify any issues that may arise during the projects implementation and ensure that these issues are resolved effectively in order to keep the projects on track;
- Ensure the projects implementation complies with the Projects Management Plan;
- Address business and technical issues, mitigate projects risks and propose changes in projects scope as necessary;
- Ensure timely validation of technical and functional deliverables;
- Provide Secretariat services in the meetings of the projects Steering Committee and other relevant meetings;
- Responsible for projects reporting to the Executive Director of STATAFRIC as the Project Coordinator; and
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned to him/her by the Executive Director of STATAFRIC.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A Master’s Degree in Project Management, Statistics, Demography or related fields, and at least ten (10) years of excellent professional experience in project management and/or monitoring and evaluation at national, continental or international level and 6 years at managerial level and three (3) years at supervisory level.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Project Management, Statistics, Demography or related fields, and at least twelve (12) years of excellent professional experience in project management and/or monitoring and evaluation at national, continental or international level and 6 years at managerial level and three (3) years at supervisory level.
- Knowledge of statistics methodologies and concepts
- A clear understanding of statistical terms and concepts
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and statistical tools
- Management experience and excellent interpersonal skills
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Critical thinking skills
- Excellent communication skills and ability both orally and in writing
- Excellent report writing and presentation
- Sound planning and organizational skills
- Ability to negotiate diplomatically
- Ability to delegate the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority with regard to performance management and professional development
- Conscientious in observing deadlines and achieving results
- Familiarity with international and regional definition, methodologies and standards in the relevant area
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages, fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
- Strategic Insight
- Managing Risk
- Building Relationship
- Foster Accountability Culture
- Drive for Result
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment shall be for an initial period of one (1) year, the first three (3) months of which shall be on probation. It shall be renewable subject to performance and availability of funds.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$ 108,994.91 (P4 Step 5) inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 92,749.55 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff of the African Union Commission.
Application Closing Date
24th November, 2023; 11h59 p.m. EAT.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only candidates who meet all job requirements and are selected for interviews will be contacted.
- Consideration will be given only to those candidates who have submitted a fully completed online application with a curriculum vitae (CV), an African passport, and the required academic qualifications, such as Diplomas, Bachelor’s degrees, Master’s degrees and any relevant certificate in line with the area of expertise.
- The African Union is an equal opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Candidates from less represented countries within the African Union are strongly encouraged to apply for positions that fit their profiles. These countries include Algeria, Angola, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Comoros, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Sahrawi D.R., Sao Tome and Principe., Seychelles, Somalia and Tunisia.