The United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) is seeking a Programme Manager to coordinate the planning, implementation, and reporting of all programmes in Maiduguri, Borno. The role involves coordinating the preparation of situation analyses, monitoring systems, and recommendations for program implementation. The Programme Manager also serves as the Officer-in-Charge (OIC) in the absence of the Chief of Field Office (CFO) and chair of the Maiduguri Field Office Partnership Review Committee.
Job Title: Programme Manager, P4
Job no: 567667
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contract Type: Fixed Term Appointment
Categories: Programme Management
For every child, commitment
- Maiduguri is a large-sized field office in northeastern Nigeria with 80 staff with approximately USD 150 million annual budget. The Area of Responsibility (AoR) is comprised of three states (Borno, Yobe and (part of) Adamawa) with a total population of 13.5 million people.
- The Programme Manager is responsible for coordinating the planning, implementation and reporting on all programmes.
- The Programme Manager supports the risk management functions including the implementation of the Nigeria Country Office decentralization and accountability framework in the Maiduguri Field Office.
- The Programme Manager serves as the Officer-in-Charge (OIC) in the absence of the Chief of Field Office (CFO) and the chair of the Maiduguri Field Office Partnership Review Committee.
- The function plays a strategic role within the field office in ensuring the best use of UNICEF resources and assets in alignment with sound management practices and the Nigeria Country office priorities and goals to deliver results for children in both humanitarian and development programmes.
How can you make a difference?
- The Programme Manager supports the CFO in leading and leveraging partnerships at the sub-national level with both public and private sectors for the achievement of results and fulfilment of the rights of children.
Field Office Programme planning and development:
- Coordinate the Maiduguri Field Office inputs to the preparation of the Situation Analysis for programme development across the humanitarian development peace nexus.
- Coordinate the preparation of programme work plans.
- Administer a consistent and transparent monitoring system at the AoR, providing accurate analysis of socio-political-economic trends and their implications for ongoing programmes and projects.
- Responsible for preparation of program recommendations for inclusion in formal programme documentation, and new approaches, methods, and practices.
- Coordinate the planning and updating of the situation analysis by the Programme teams in the FO to establish comprehensive data and information for programme development planning, management, monitoring, and evaluation.
- Guide the various Programme teams throughout the process of programme formulation, planning and preparation of the Country Programme ensuring harmonization of approaches and alignment with UNICEF’s Strategic Plan, corporate guidelines, policies/procedures and regional and national priorities. Provide technical and operational support throughout the process.
- Coordinate the necessary technical programming support from the CO level.
- Review the FO Programme recommendations to ensure the quality of the inputs to the CO Programme strategy and alignment with the UNICEF’s Strategic plan, compliance with policies and procedures and that documentation materials are completed accurately and comprehensively.
Support to the CFO on managing the field office including Risk Management:
- Serve as Officer-in-Charge of the Field Office in the absence of the CFO.
- Assist in establishing programme work plans and monitors progress and compliance.
- Help to manage allocation and disbursement of programme funds, ensuring that funds are properly coordinated, monitored, and liquidated.
- Collaborate with the Operations Section to establish and maintain sound internal controls supportive of programming endeavors and to coordinate financial and supply management requirements and accountability.
- Supports the risk management functions including the implementation of the Nigeria Country Office decentralization and accountability framework at the Maiduguri Field Office level.
- Takes appropriate actions to optimize use of programme funds.
- Ensure programme efficiency and delivery through transparent approach to programme planning, monitoring, and evaluation. Monitor and assess programmes and operations at the FO and provide advice on best and innovative programming and management practices to enhance programming and operations.
- Coordinate with the Programmes on annual work planning, setting priorities/targets and establishing performance measurements. Monitor implementation and progress of work plans; collaborate with colleagues to assist, work closely with the Nigeria Country Office Section Chiefs and Managers to ensure achievement of results according to targets and performance standards.
- Establish clear performance objectives, goals, and timelines; and provide timely guidance to his/her team to enable them to perform their duties responsibly and efficiently. Plan and ensure timely performance planning, management, and assessment.
Monitoring and quality control of programmes in AoR:
- Participate in meetings/events and annual/midterm reviews with the government and other counterparts/stakeholders to contribute to strategic programme discussions, planning, and assessments.
- Coordinate the implementation of programmes in the AoR; identify weaknesses, bottlenecks, and potential problems. Collaborate with the Programme teams, Sectors and/or other partners and stakeholders to resolve issues.
- Undertakes field visits to monitor and assess programme implementation and decides on required corrective action.
- Monitor the optimum and appropriate use of programme resources (financial, human, administrative and other assets) and verify compliance with organizational rules, regulations and procedures, donor commitments and standards of accountability and integrity.
- Coordinate and/or provide advice on the preparation of mandated programme and operational reports.
Partnership, Coordination and Collaboration:
- Liaise with the UN system partners to strengthen UN system interagency coherence, collaboration, cooperation and harmonization of programming, common services and operations at the Maiduguri Field Office level.
- Develop partnerships and collaboration with internal and external counterparts, including those of the UN and national partners, to improve the ability to collect and disseminate development data and information, exchange information on programme/project status and implementation and movement/distribution of supplies.
- Plans, develops and implements sectoral programme(s) by collaborating with the government and other partners.
- Ensure organizational position, interests and priorities are fully considered and integrated in the UN cooperation Framework development planning and agenda/priority setting at the Maiduguri Field Office level.
- Collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues in Programme Development planning of programmes/projects.
- Build and strengthen strategic partnerships at the Maiduguri Field Office level with government institutions, sub-national stakeholders, and other partners/allies/donors/academia to advocate UNICEF goals to advance child’s right to survival, development and good being, mobilize resources, seek cooperation and establish alliances.
Rights-Based and Results-Based Programme Management Approach:
- Ensure the quality of child rights-based programmes through consistent and effective planning, design, implementation, monitoring and/or evaluation of programmes and projects.
- Bring coherence, synergy and added value to the programming planning and design processes using a results-based management approach to programme design.
- Ensure viable recommendations on project implementation, alternative approaches, and optimal utilization of resources that contribute effectively to the fulfilment of the rights of children and women, and recommendations on new programme initiatives and management issues to ensure achievement of stated objectives.
- Conducts policy analysis from a children’s and women’s rights perspective and advocacy at the community and family levels for credibility in national policy debates.
- Promote the organization goals of UNICEF through advocacy and policy dialogue at the Maiduguri Field Office level.
Innovation, Knowledge Management and Capacity building:
- Ensure that area programmes are strengthened by knowledge management through data collection and analysis, complete and accurate reporting as well as participation in the Programme Knowledge Network system of “lessons learned” and other corporate- level databases.
- Provide government authorities with technical supports and guidance to plan and organize training programmes for the purpose of capacity building and programme sustainability.
- Ensure the building or reinforcing of the commitment and institutional capacities of the national and local partners starting with taking a strategic approach to the identification of these partners and partnerships.
- Advise internal colleagues in the FO on the development and implementation of policies and procedures, use of latest information technology and introduction of innovation and best practices to ensure optimum efficiency and efficacy in programming and operations.
- Coordinate the collection, institutionalization and sharing of lessons learned to enhance performance and to use lessons learned in development/policy planning at the FO level.
- Promote learning and development through planning and organization of training events, activities, and other capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies/productivity of staff members.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Education: An Advanced University Degree in one of the following fields is required: Social Sciences, International Relations, Government And Public Relations, Public or Social Policy, Sociology, Social or Community Development, or another relevant technical field.
- Work experience: A minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience.
- Language Requirements: Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s Core Values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, Accountability and Sustainability (CRITAS) underpin everything we do and how we do it. Get acquainted with Our Values Charter: UNICEF Values
UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
- Nurtures, Leads and Manages People (2)
- Demonstrates self-awareness and ethical awareness (2)
- Works collaboratively with others (2)
- Builds and maintains partnership (2)
- Innovates and embraces change (2) Thinks and acts strategically (2)
- Drive to achieve results for impact (2)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (2)
Application Closing Date
5th December, 2023 W. Central Africa Standard Time.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online