Action Against Hunger is seeking an Operation Theatre Nurse to join their Mid Level Programme in Damasak, Mobbar, Borno. The role involves organizing patient transport and installation, supervising post-operative activities, assisting surgeons and anesthetists, implementing hygiene protocols, supervising nurse-aids and cleaners, controlling equipment and material stock, supervising administrative procedures, and supporting other services.
Job Title: Operation Theatre Nurse
Location: Damasak, Mobbar, Borno
Employment Type: Full Time
Level: Mid Level
Programmes: Nutrition and Health
Reporting to: Obstetrics and Gynecology Doctor
Proposed start date: December 2023
- Organize the patient’s transport and installation from the operating theatre to the recovery room and carry out and/or supervise all the post-operative activities (used material collection, operating theatre’s cleaning and disinfection, resetting all equipment and material back), in order to prepare the operating theatre for next surgical intervention or any emergency;
- Ensure the preparation of the material and equipment (checking the quantity and quality), in the operating theatre and carry out the reception, and transport of the patient from the preparation room to the operating theatre and ensuring his/her installation for surgery;
- Assist the surgeon and anesthetist during the operation, anticipating their needs, in order to facilitate their job and help throughout the whole process;
- Checks vital parameters of the patient with the nurse anesthetist;
- Implement and follow up the hygiene, sterilization, asepsis, and disinfection protocols and procedures at all times, in pre, during and post-operative activities, in order to ensure the patient and staff’s safety conditions. i.e. waste containers availability, sharps container, checking no material or needles remain in the surgical towels, placing instruments into soak container, take instruments/linen to sterilization unit, etc.);
- Supervise and train the nurse-aids and cleaners while in the operating theatre in following all appropriate protocols and procedures, in order to ensure the quality of the healthcare given to patients;
- Perform cleaning and minor maintenance for biomedical equipment used;
- Follow user manual and protocols and alert supervisor in case of malfunctioning of any device.
- Control all equipment and material stock to be used in the operating theatre, in order to ensure an efficient and rational use of material resources while preventing damage and deterioration;
- Carry out and supervise administrative procedures and documents (check the identity of the patient and his/her consent for the operation, fill in patient files, forms, statistics, quantitative surgical data collection, etc.), and report any problematic situations and cases arising, in order to have updated and correct information about the day-to-day activity and ensuring proper transfer of information;
- Intervene in support of other services whenever needed and work particularly in close collaboration with the accident, emergency department and obstetrics;
- Work both in the main and minor operating theatre, assisting in surgery and wound debridement;
- Participate in the planning on daily operation schedule during the intervention period;
- Work in collaboration with the psychosocial team in preparing patients for painful procedures such as wound dressings;
- Work in collaboration with IPC supervisor to follow up on IPC measurements and hygiene in the operating theatre;
- Control all equipment and material stock to be used in the operating theatre (carry out inventories, checking its quality and its functioning);
- Carry out and supervise administrative procedures and documents in order to have updated and correct information about the day-to-day activity and ensure proper transfer of information;
- Will be required to work in the inpatient department/SC as a nurse in between interventions when the operating theatre is less busy or at any time when asked by the supervisor;
- Participate in patient education;
- Attend ward rounds and actively participate in the follow-up of patients’ evolution;
- Carry out on-the-job training for operating theatre staff on equipment, sterilization and other procedures;
- Attend medical and department meetings as scheduled;
- Keep a healthy working relationship with both project and MOH staff.
- Nursing Diploma with specialization as a theatre nurse essential;
- Bachelor in Nursing Science (N.Sc) with postgraduate theatre nursing specialization desirable;
- Theatre Nurse with at least 3 years’ working experience in a hospital setting;
- Language skill fluency in English and local – Hausa and Kanuri dialects
Application Closing Date
Monday, 20th November 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Our employees enjoy a work culture that promotes diversity and inclusion
- Action Against Hunger does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
- Action Against Hunger provides Equal Employment Opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
- Other benefits include but not limited to 100% health care coverage, free and direct access to Cross Knowledge e-learning platform.
- Women at ACF are entitled to benefits such as maternity leave, compassionate leave for a hospitalized child and creche facilities for babies and toddlers.
- All candidates MUST ensure they answer all the questions asked for this application. Failure to do so means candidates will not be considered for the process.