The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is seeking an IT Assistant to join their team in Takum, Taraba. The position is full-time, with a hardship level of D and a non-family residential location. The IT Assistant will monitor and maintain ICT equipment, ensure problem recovery, and assist with software installation and maintenance. They will also train UNHCR staff on various communication systems and procedures. The ideal candidate should have experience in computer installation, network troubleshooting, ProGres V4, operational experience, and strong interpersonal and team skills. The job requires strong English language skills and experience in working in an isolated environment. The job requires accountability, client orientation, commitment to continuous learning, communication, organizational awareness, teamwork, and technological awareness.
Job Title: IT Assistant
Job Requisition ID: JR2331426
Location: Takum, Taraba
Job Type: Full time
Hardship Level: D
Family Type: Non Family with Residential Location
Residential location (if applicable): Accra, Ghana
Target Start Date: 2024-04-01
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships:
- The IT Assistant works under the direct supervision of a Senior Officer and the technical supervision of an IT Officer at sub-, branch office or regional level.
- S/he has working relationships with UNHCR staff members in the office and other offices within the country as well as with staff of UN agencies and other UNHCR partners to exchange information and to provide assistance.
- All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks.
- In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Monitor and maintain the LAN, Network Servers, Routers, Printers, LAN Points, and Switches, Patch panels, Access points, to prevent faults occurring.
- Ensure that ICT problem recovery is done as quickly as possible and make regular system back-ups.
- Assist with the installation of the software packages, basic repair/maintenance of computer hardware and telecom equipment.
- Train UNHCR staff on email system, utilization of VHF handhelds, telephone system. Radio communication training to new IP staff and package police in the field.
- Distribute incoming cables, messages and other communication in accordance with established instructions.
- Add and remove users from the Networks.
- Maintain the inventory of ICT equipment and keep track of movements of ICT equipment.
- Select the most efficient and economic means for the transmission of messages, taking into consideration the nature and priority of communications to be transmitted.
- May attend telephone calls and keep records of such calls.
- Carry out administrative duties, within the area of competence as assigned.
- Decide on appropriate resolution to incidents.
- Escalate incidents where they cannot be resolved at the office level.
- Support the identification and management of risks and seek to seize opportunities impacting objectives in the area of responsibility. Ensure decision making in risk based in the functional area of work. Raise risks, issues and concerns to a supervisor or to relevant functional colleague(s).
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience:
- G4 1 year relevant experience with High School Diploma; or Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent or higher
Certificates and/or Licenses:
- Telecommunications; Information Technology;
Desired Candidate Profile:
- S/He should have a sound experience in computer installation, network trouble shooting knowledge and experience.
- S/He should have knowledge on the ProGres V4 to support continuous refugee registration activities as will be required.
- S/He should have operational experience and familiarity with working in multifunctional teams.
- S/He should have good oral and written communication skills.
- S/He should have strong interpersonal and team skills to work in the isolated environment of the field office.
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Living and Working Conditions:
- The duty station Takum hardship classification is D . Duty stations are rated on a scale that assesses the difficulty of working and living conditions from A to E, with A being the least and E, being the most difficult.
- Categories are arrived at through an assessment of the following six discrete factors: health, security, local conditions, isolation, climate, and housing.
- Basic medical facilities exist in Takum to manage/stabilize urgent cases (for 24h) before evacuation to Jalingo (4-5hrs drive)and then onwards to Abuja as needed.
- Takum town is home to different communities, there are imaginary boundaries within the town that a newcomer may not be conversant with. Incessant communal clashes usually occur without warning; on many occasions UNHCR staff have been caught up/affected, although not directly targeted.
- The violence may go on for days with either side killing each other or inflicting serious gunshot/machete injuries.
- Hence precautions should be taken on individual social life and cultural awareness and considerations.
- There are no safe public transport or taxis. Because of the fluid and unpredictable security situation and very limited safe housing options, international staff have been requested to live in a designated UN-shared guest house protected by armed personnel.
- Takum experiences erratic electricity and office/GH relies on generators as a backup.
- The nearest airport is in Jalingo (4-5 hrs drive from Takum) provides domestic flights.
- Takum is not connected to most internet service providers making it difficult to communicate domestically and internationally. There are days when there is no network. The UN office and UN guesthouse have a WIFI.
- Client & results orientation
- Commitment to continuous learning
- Organizational awareness
- Teamwork & collaboration
- Technological awareness.
Application Closing Date
12th December, 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online