The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is seeking a Communications Manager to help address hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation in Africa. The position involves developing and implementing HarvestPlus’s communications strategy, managing core resources, and developing relevant materials. The role also involves maintaining a positive profile through media outreach campaigns, monitoring the media landscape, and managing digital media strategies. The ideal candidate should have excellent written and verbal communication, relevant work experience in agricultural project or development communication, and experience in advocacy campaign and capacity-building.
Job Title: Communication Manager
Job Code: IITA/P&C/NRS2023-046
Employment Type: Contract
Duration: 1-year renewable contract
Internal Communications and Knowledge Management:
- Develop and direct the implementation of the communications strategy for HarvestPlus, ensuring integration and alignment with the country office strategy, and targeting key audiences to build profile and support for HarvestPlus work.
- Provide technical, editorial, documentation, and communication support during project events such as Nutritious Food Fair, farmers’ days etc.
- Develop compelling stories – features, photo and video stories, and events that reinforce HarvestPlus brand, while managing regular and efficient sharing and exchange of information through effective internal communications to bring to life HarvestPlus work.
- Manage delivery of core communications resources and assets, including reports, briefings, factsheets, and profiles and coordinate production (design and printing) in line with HarvestPlus brand guidelines, and manage distribution.
- Develop relevant documents, including strategies, proposals, donor reports and other technical documents, to ensure proper reporting with well-written and clear communication messages.
- Work with relevant staff to develop communication materials including press releases, newsletters, articles, website pages, brochures, banners, posters, guidelines etc, to support partners and investors.
- Provide technical advice and support to unit leaders and other staff in planning and developing relevant information and communications products and organize in-house media training for staff as necessary.
- Develop and evaluate the feasibility, efficiency and quality of Information Education and Communication (IEC) materials.
External and Media Engagement:
- Maintain positive profile through impactful media and outreach campaigns across key external online and offline communications channels.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with targeted online, print and broadcast journalists, editorial writers, bloggers and columnists, as well as other media influencers, and mobilize them for HarvestPlus events.
- Monitor the media landscape with special focus on brand and image attacks and work with appropriate internal stakeholders to formulate responses as required.
- Limit and prevent crisis communications by providing frequent updates and critical messaging on FAQs.
- Oversee and manage the program’s digital media strategy, ensuring that website and social media channels content are updated and engaging.
- Contribute to communication capacity-building for partners and stakeholders, including developing training programs and guidelines to support and ensure partners can detect, shape and tell their stories of social change and ensure these stories are further incorporated to wider HarvestPlus communications.
- Proactively identify media opportunities and, in close liaison with HarvestPlus partners, plan and implement media events including press conferences.
- Oversee monitoring of the current and future news agenda to identify and exploit communications opportunities, manage press enquires and pursue opportunities for promoting HarvestPlus
- Oversee management of media contact and communications database and execute and monitor media strategies and activities, including press conferences, one-to-one briefings, press releases, and other written materials.
- Link HarvestPlus Nigeria advocacy campaigns to other regional and international campaigns, and keep stakeholders and partners informed on various HarvestPlus activities.
Event organization and management:
- Lead the planning and execution of all program and advocacy events ensuring adherence to standards and event objectives.
- Post-event evaluation – analyze executed events against targets and objectives.
- Innovate means of improving on the successful execution of events
- Provide support to partners in planning, and execution of advocacy or programs events in their various locations.
Social Media and Website management:
- Create and upload engaging social media content using graphics and illustrations to increase awareness and sensitization of stakeholders.
- Monitor all social media conversations, mentions, and other activities and provide feedback to questions and comments.
- Collect and share feedback from social media channels with relevant Unit.
- Assist in updating information on HarvestPlus website.
- Perform any other job-related tasks as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
- Master’s Degree in Mass Communication, Agricultural Extension Communication or Journalism or related field with a minimum of five (5) years’ experience performing similar role in a well-structured environment.
- Training in development communication, graphic designs and video editing will be an added advantage.
The ideal candidate must:
- Have Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Have relevant work experience in agricultural project or development communication.
- Be experience in advocacy campaign and capacity-building.
We offer highly competitive salaries with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online