The ECOWAS Parliament, established by the ECOWAS Revised Treaty of 24 July 1993, is the House of Representatives of the peoples of the Community. It is composed of 115 Representatives from 15 Member States of ECOWAS. The Parliament is currently recruiting for a Committee Clerk position in Abuja, with a grade of P2/P3/P4. The role involves assisting the Principal Officer in managing the business of the Plenary and Committees, preparing draft agendas, minutes, reports, and coordinating activities. The incumbent also assists in preparing research, proposing conference topics, and preparing Terms of Reference.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Committee Clerk
Directorate: Parliamentary Affairs & Research
Division: Parliamentary Business Division
Line Supervisor: Principal Parliamentary Affairs Officer
- Under the supervision of the Principal Officer, Parliamentary Business, the incumbent serves as administrator, coordinator and adviser to the Parliamentary Committees to which they are assigned, and assists the Principal Officer in managing the business of he Plenary and Committees.
Role and Responsibilities
- Assists in preparing the draft agenda of Parliamentary Sessions;
- Assists in drafting minutes of the proceedings of Plenary Sessions and draft reports of Parliamentary Sessions;
- Plans and organises the activities of Committees in liaison with relevant units of the General Secretariat;
- Prepares the draft agenda and draft work programmes of the Committees;
- Prepares draft speeches for Committee meetings;
- Conducts research and gathers information and documentation required for the work of the Committees;
- Proposes conference topics for the deliberations of the Committees;
- Prepares Terms of Reference (TOR) for the meetings of the Committees;
- Identifies and contacts resource persons for the meetings of the Committees;
- Liaises with the relevant Departments of the Commission responsible for the areas of competence of the Committees to which one is assigned;
- Undertakes studies and research as well as prepares memoranda as may be determined by the Committees, the Secretary General or the Speaker of Parliament;
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in International Relations, Political Science, Law, Public Administration or a related field from a recognized University.
- 2 years of progressively responsible professional working experience in political science, political affairs, international relations, law, mediation, conflict resolution, or related area is required;
- knowledge and understanding of ECOWAS agency or institutional mandate, international non-proliferation theories, concepts and developments and ECOWAS strategies, including cooperation with Member-States and international organizations;
- knowledge and understanding of ECOWAS agency/institution’s relations with national and regional agencies, International organizations and other international and diplomatic institutions;
- Ability to liaise between ECOWAS members and Staff with the government of the country of residence, in focus areas;
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
ECOWAS Key Competencies:
- Ability to motivate self and/or others to engage in and successfully complete tasks at hand;
- Demonstrated experience leading conversations that will either provide participants with new information, ideas or awareness or elicit feedback;
- Ability to positively influence co-workers when faced with challenges and work problems to help trigger solutions and build confidence;
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Ability to lead in the management of own career and performance and to seek assistance/coaching when required.
- Well-developed client service skills including a positive attitude, creative thinking skills, good work ethic, teamwork experience, time management skills, flexibility;
- Ability to take initiative to resolve problems and improve quality and/or quantity of work by identifying alternative solutions and discussing appropriateness/approach with supervisor;
- Strong desire to help others and capacity to empathize to generate mutual understanding;
- Ability to work as part of a team in supporting and addressing the needs of clients and stakeholders;
- Ability to multitask and to meet client service/stakeholder management standards and objectives of pertinence to assigned responsibilities.
- Ability to perceive the moods and feelings of others from various cultural backgrounds, and to understand interests, needs, and perspectives so as to prevent/address misunderstandings and complaints;
- Well-developed ability to relate well with people from varied backgrounds and sound understanding of diverse cultural differences especially within west Africa;
- Ability to listen attentively to people’s ideas, requests and concerns and to understand and internalize the need for diversity management in every day workplace practices;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Ability to factor in diversity when providing services, responding to requests, recognizing and releasing preconceived notions and stereotypical views of certain groups and individuals.
- Basic understanding of the ECOWAS organization mandate and its functions;
- Ability to explain the ECOWAS programs and projects relevant to tasks and demonstrated understanding of data used by the department/institution/agency, including knowing where data resides in the system, the ability to see how the data in the system interrelates and how data entries and changes may impact data in other parts of the system.
- Knowledge of ECOWAS routine procedures and practices as it relates to assigned responsibilities;
- Ability to apply ECOWAS standards in emailing, reporting, correspondence, etc. and to accept and implement changes as directed.
- Excellent numeracy skills with the ability to collect, collate, classify and summarize data systematically.
- Demonstrated ability to assist in conducting primary and secondary research activities in accordance with instructions and/or best practices in research techniques (e.g. interviews, tests, desk research);
- Ability to identify inconsistencies in reasoning and to articulate findings clearly;
- Ability to use creativity and initiative in the generation of alternative solutions to a problem;
- Ability to gather, analyze and arrange information in a logical sequence.
- Ability to provide useful feedback when asked and to use feedback constructively when given;
- Demonstrated ability to use computers with superior word-processing skills and proficiency in the use of data base (e.g. access), spreadsheets (e.g. excel), inter/intranet, email and social media;
- Tact, diplomacy and well-developed interpersonal skills;
- Ability to write accurate, clear and well-organized text;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies (ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Well established time management skills with the ability to make well considered/reasoned decisions regarding own work and to follow them through;
- Ability to use action planning skills, set priorities, develop work goals and identify the steps needed to achieve goals of relevance to own work area;
- Ability to work well and meet objectives of tasks when under pressure or when exposed to uncertainties, challenges and/or changing work environments;
- Ability to understand and contribute to team/work unit goals and plans as well as to collective decision-making.
- P2 – UA42,916.53 (US$67,713.70)
- P3 – UA49,106.81 (USD77,480.72)
- P4 – UA56,591.37 (USD89,289.87)
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should download the Application Form below, fill it out correctly, attach a Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a Motivation Letter and send to: email@example.com using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
Click Here To Download Application Form (Ms Word)
Note: In line with ECOWAS policy, the vacancies are, in the first instance, being published internally for the interest of candidates from ECOWAS Institutions only. Accordingly, interested and qualified staff of all ECOWAS Institutions and Agencies are kindly requested to apply.