The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is seeking an Assistant Field Officer to join their team in Calabar, Cross River. The position is a contract-based position with a C-grade and a start date of 2024-04-01. The Assistant Field Officer will be responsible for assessing the needs of persons of concern, promoting and monitoring assistance projects, reporting on new arrivals, assisting with reception and registration, tracking detention cases, preparing sectoral reports, recommending protection interventions, negotiating with local authorities, and managing risks. The minimum qualifications include 1 year of relevant experience with an undergraduate degree, no experience with a graduate degree, or no experience with a doctorate degree. Interested candidates can apply online.
Job Title: Assistant Field Officer
Job ID.: JR2331101
Location: Calabar, Cross River
Employment Type: Contract
Hardship Level: C
Target Start Date: 2024-04-01
- The Assistant Field Officer is normally supervised by the Senior Field Coordinator or Field Officer or Head of Sub-Office/Field Office depending on the structure of the Office.
- S/he may receive indirect guidance from other sections and units relevant to the country/regional programme(s).
- UNHCR Manual, programme and protection objectives, Operations Plans, UN and UNHCR financial/budgetary rules and regulations will guide the work of the incumbent.
- The incumbent does not normally have any direct supervisory role.
- S/he has daily contacts with staff in the various field offices and with the functional units at the Country/Regional Office.
- S/he also has close liaison with a range of local civilian and military authorities and counterparts in NGOs and UN agencies to discuss matters of common interest.
- Assess the needs of persons of concern in the AoR and formulate project submissions in collaboration with district authorities and implementing partners.
- Promote and monitor the implementation of assistance projects.
- Report regularly on rate of flow of new arrivals and estimate expected influx based on interviews with persons of concern.
- In co-ordination with implementing partners, assist with the reception, registration and provision of assistance to persons of concern to UNHCR.
- Keep track of cases of detention; register applicants for voluntary repatriation and family reunion.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly sectoral reports and submit material for preparation of periodic project monitoring reports and year-end reports.
- Submit recommendation for protection interventions to the designated officer.
- Negotiate with local authority counterparts, partners and populations of concern.
- Support the identification and management of risks and seek to seize opportunities impacting objectives in the area of responsibility. Ensure decision making in risk based in the functional area of work. Raise risks, issues and concerns to a supervisor or to relevant functional colleague(s).
- Perform other related duties as required.
Years of Experience / Degree Level:
- For P1/NOA 1 year relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or no experience with Graduate degree; or no experience with Doctorate degree.
Field(s) of Education:
- Law Political Sciences or other relevant field.
Certificates and/or Licenses:
- UNHCR Protection Learning Programme
- UNHCR Operations Management Learning Programme.
Application Closing Date
14th December, 2023.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online